Part of a series of 10 cars built for Portland for use on the Council Crest line. This cars was originally numbered 206. Cars of this series do not have air brakes, rather they have magnetic and hand brakes. Gearing was also low. This is so they could climb and descend the steep gradients of the Council Crest line.
The Council Crest Amusement Park was built in 1906 to promote ridership. It offered a Ferris wheel, a scenic railway, a dance pavilion, and an observation tower. The park was closed in 1929 after the Jantzen Beach Amusement Park opened.
The final operation on this line, and the 2 other remaining narrow gauge city lines, occurred on February 26, 1950. Number 506 made that run on the Council Crest Line and was displayed at Council Crest Park. After years of decay and vandalism, number 506 made its way in 1975 to the Trolley Park. It still retains it original narrow gauge running gear and controls
This car served as prototype for the Vintage Trolley cars built by GOMACO of Ida Grove, that ran the Portland’s light rail MAX system between Lloyd Center and downtown. Now 2 of those cars are on the Willamette Shore trolley, and 2 others were sent to St. Louis.
- Car #: 506
- Year Built: 1904
- Builder: J. G. Brill
- Last Operator: Portland Railway
- Car Type: Semi-Convertible
- Year Museum acquired: 1975
- Common Name: Council Crest Car
- Track Gauge: 3’6″
- # of trucks/Wheels: 2 Trucks
- Car Status: Display only
- Other details: Retains magnetic track brakes