As built, car # 813 was used on the city streetcar lines (3’6″ gauge). It was typically operated on the Broadway line in Portland, thus was nicknamed a “Broadway car”. It was one of 15 Brill Master units bought by Portland Traction Company. It was a very modern car for its time with safety and one man operation in mind.
When streetcar service ended in 1949-50, this car was transferred to the Interurban line between Portland and Oregon City. It had to be re-gauged to the Interurban’s standard gauge tracks. Entirely new trucks were used in the conversion. The car then received the new number of 4012.
The Museum completed a major restoration in 1998 to operate on the Willamette Shore Trolley and renumbered back to 813. Years of service on the WST was hard on 813, and now needs a major motor overhaul. Your donations will help bring this car back to service
- Car #: 813 (Was car # 4012 when on the Interurban line)
- Year Built: 1932
- Builder: J. G. Brill
- Last Operator: Portland Traction
- Car Type: Master Unit
- Year Museum acquired:
- Common Name: Broadway Car
- Track Gauge: Standard
- # of trucks/Wheels: 2 Trucks
- Car Status: Needs Motor Work
- Other details: Was originally built for city streetcar narrow gauge