San Francisco MUNI PCC # 1159

Car # 1159 is one of two former San Francisco MUNI PCC Cars the museum retains. This car was initially built for St. Louis Public Service as # 1726 before being sent to SF in 1957

PCC stands for Presidents Conference Committee, which existed from 1928 to 34. It consisted of presidents of electric railroads from around the country. The idea was to create a unified design that could operate anywhere, be low-cost, and be manufactured in high volume.

These cars had high acceleration rates and were comfortable to ride. The PCC extended the streetcar lines’ longevity in the US by another 20 years. Over 5000 were built. PCC patents are still used today in some cities overseas.



Car Facts

Year Built: 1946

Builder: St. Louis Car Company

Year Retired: 1981

Museum Acquired: 1981

Track Gauge: Standard

Motors: GE1220A1 on Clark B2 trucks

Status: Operational

At the Museum

At the Museum

At the Museum